Thursday, March 10, 2011

The eBook Format is... HTML?

This sort of caught me off guard. I made my first websites when I was fourteen or fifteen, and I never would have thought that the publishing industry's new defacto standard would be CSS-driven HTML. For those writers out there that wouldn't know HTML from a hole-in-the-ground, let me explain how simple all of this really is.

In HTML, paragraphs are separated via the <p></p> tags. For instance, the first paragraph of this post would be written as such:

<p>This sort of caught me off guard. I made my first websites when I was fourteen or fifteen, and I never would have thought that the publishing industry's new defacto standard would be CSS-driven HTML. For those writers out there that wouldn't know HTML from a hole-in-the-ground, let me explain how simple all of this really is.</p>


An eBook is essentially a bunch of paragraphs chained together with a table of contents to each chapter. A table of contents is just a collection of anchor tags. I had been worried about paying someone for formatting a story for eBook submission, but this just seems too easy - especially since I don't use special characters very often. Still, even if I did, that is something that can be easily remedied with a global search and replace. As someone who has to use LaTex for paper submission to conferences, this is a cake walk!

If you are interested in finding out more about eBook formatting, check out Guido Henke's guide to formatting your own eBook.

Take pride in your eBook formatting

Have you had experience with posting your own eBook? If so, give me some feedback. Have you ran into any unforeseen problems?

No comments:

Post a Comment